Melody called 'LIFE'

Monday, January 12, 2009

The last email...

“Dear A,

Long time ha! How have you been? I could not get my hands on your latest number. But I thought I should share this news with you. Who else could be happier for me than my best friend?

Yes honey, I recently got engaged and I am marrying on the 12th of February. It all happened oh so suddenly! I will tell you more about it when you come. Should I ask you formally now, that Gentleman, please grace this occasion with your august presence. Wink! Wink!

It’d make my happiness double-fold.
I will wait to hear back from you.

Cheers!
E

P.S.: Some pics from the engagement ceremony and the wedding invitation.”

Ameet stared at the email for the next fifteen minutes. Looked at the thumbnails… Didn’t feel like opening the attachments… A thousand and one memories passed by. He then clicked on the dropdown list and moved this email to the folder named “MyPrincess”.

‘859 emails from my Princess’, he thought. ‘But she isn’t mine to keep any longer.’

There was a little tear which dropped from the corner of his right eye.

It had been 7 years of knowing her. 3 years of an effervescent friendship – a brusque period of love – followed by 4 turbulent years of upstage friendship across oceans.

She had moved on with her life years back. But he never did. He never even tried.

Today was the right time or so he thought. He had years of excess baggage, the undying love and care for her which never ceased to exit. But today he wanted to tell her, that he really doesn’t need to know if she’s marrying or not – anymore.

“Dear E,

I wish I could say I was happy for you, but I would be lying.

You really didn’t have to reach out. I thought I had made peace with how things were.
I am humane. I can’t feign happiness. So much as you would like me to be happy for you, I would want you to crave for me and be sad about losing me forever.

I have always hated the fact how I can’t tear away myself from you. But, no more...

It was nice knowing your innocent ways, the way you smiled, the way you cared for me, the way we were always happy in the gloomiest of times…. But I don’t want to know anymore how you are, where you are, who you are marrying or what you are wearing for your marriage or if you are gonna do the ‘bad-girl’ stint as we had planned years back on your wedding night…

No reason was ever good enough to let go of you. But the very reason that you let me go is reason enough for me to not keep trail of your life. Please help me in my endeavor to keep my life simple.

Thank you very much for everything.

No more yours,
A

P.S.: A zip file with all our saved conversations, some sweet, some not so memorable. Mebbe we will meet again in another life then again mebbe not.”

----

Ameet is one of my best buddies. It was not easy for him to do what he did. I kept thinking about the whole thing and felt sad for how things were.

Later in the day, I casually happened to ask Adi, “You ever had a broken relationship?”

Without an eye’s blink he said, “No.”

Even before I could admire how good he must have been with his love, he made his second statement, “They either stuck.... or never got made!”

We started laughing about the dialogue delivery.
But this statement of his got me thinking…

Things happen if they are meant to happen…
Amen.

P.S. This is an excerpt from real life, with people names changed.

-Ships

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home