WANNA BE FRIENDS? Why think? Just go ahead!

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.
- John Burroughs
How aptly said!
Life is indeed too short a period to wait for good things to happen by themselves… The onus is upon us to find the time, and relish the sweetness of the flavour called life. And when it comes to making friends, I follow Francesco Guicciardini’s belief. He says, “Since there is nothing so well worth having as friends, never lose a chance to make them…”
I remember, as a kid, I had this Brobdingnagian aim to ‘befriend the whole world’. Nevertheless, in the course of time, I’ve humbled myself from this extremely pollyannaish goal, and settled for befriending a part of it!
Its quite strange, how longtime friendships can break off and go haywire in seconds. At the same time, friendship of consequences might just stay intact for an entire lifetime.
Ever since I graduated (as in completed my grad course), my optimistic intention mentioned above was lost in oblivion. All my close buddies, moseyed through their individual ways of life, and scattered for varied reasons. Work replaced friends. Life was different. Not that it wasn’t fun. Colleagues were fun-loving individuals. But that was that! The fun about making new friends was missing. The challenge of befriending someone was amiss.
And lo’ here again, the cell phone worked wonders! Yet again, life proved how friendship of acquaintances can add the required glitter to your life. Just a few conversations over the phone with someone… and here I am, confident enough (?) to say, that in the process I made another friend (?) ! (Well just a note – The question marks here throw light on the fact that, girls will remain so! Ever-indecisive!! Never quite sure of anything!!)
Interesting, isn’t it! While we girls take ages to decide over the right shade of nail-paint to apply, it takes just some candid talks to make a friend! Well, the candid talks are in favour of friendship, only if it includes a wholesome mix of humour and wit! (And of course, be a patient listener, praise her… and that is it!) However, if the girl happens to be me, you just need to possess a bit more than these few things mentioned! Would have mentioned a few more necessary characteristics, but then I realised, that the list would’ve been never ending! Haha… Kidding!
Friendship is definitely precious not only in the darker shades of life, but even during the time, when the sun shines bright. To ensure that this luminance of an endearing sunshine remains for ever, we need friends to stay on throughout our lives. Well, rejuvenating friendship with long lost friends is another sweet challenge and a different story altogether. As Henry Longfellow says, Ah, how good it feels! The hand of an old friend.
Well, all said and done, be it old or new, more or few, friends are an integral part of our lives. Never compromise on your friends!! And of course, as I’d mentioned it in one of my prior posts, which emphasises on the fact that Friendship acts as a rainbow between two hearts. Pun intended!! ;)
So when it comes to befriending someone, never waffle... Make as many friends as you can!
Well, yet again I assay my aught…
Friend, you are the glitter of the ocean’s waves,
You are the twinkling dew on the swaying leaves,
You are the summer’s sun, the winter frost,
Without you, without me, a lifetime is lost…
-Ships.
8 Comments:
hi shipra!
been reading ur blogs 4 quite a while, n i must tell ya - you string words together like a bunch of pearls. there is clarity in your thoughts and softness in your writing. its nice to read!
u can chk out my blog at pagalgirl.blogspot.com if u wanna read some crazy stuff!
ciao babes!
By
mad-scientist, at 4:49 AM, March 30, 2006
I am agreed that making new friends adds value to your life..but that doesn't mean you should go and ask for it.
In true friendship you don't need to tell other that he or she is your friend.
IT JUST HAPPENS !!!
By
Rushikesh Humbe, at 10:46 PM, March 30, 2006
With some of the people i meet......well i think its best nobody befriends them! So that takes the charm out of befriending the world.(As usual, here I m, the cynical me ). But neways, that was a gr8 post, 2 put wid all others!
keep it up!
On another cynical note, don't you think we use the term "friend" too casually? Especially while saying," He/She is just a friend"?
By
Mayank, at 3:48 AM, March 31, 2006
Well.. yes i agree that we use "friend" too casually... But what's the harm! They are jewels afterall... the more u have, the richer u get! Okay as i said, I'm being too optimistic... So, its jus a debate between being cynical or pollyannaish!
By
Ships, at 4:04 AM, March 31, 2006
How do you seggregate the 'friends' who can really act as a shoulder to lean on from the ones who wont even answer ur calls when u need them the most? The term 'friend' is being used pretty loosely. I mean, u enjoy talking to someone, thts ok but wht really counts for me is how much can I trust the person. I may not make a ton of friends that way but I know that the ones I have made, I can trust with my life.
Neways, gr8 post as usual.
By
Vishal Sukheja, at 10:38 AM, March 31, 2006
:-)mmm..
By
josh, at 4:43 AM, April 01, 2006
i agree with vishal completely... just to say u have many "friends" u use the term friend for everyone isnt right.
its said that if u have 5 friends when u die, uv lived a successful life.
like all relationships, i think friendship is also sancrosanct. but today people are "friends" for 5 minutes when u need to get ur cv forwarded, want a favour, or just when u bump into someone on the street. while one can accept all this as part and parcel of todays fast paced, business-like life, im not fine with giving the term "friendship" to all of these deals.
i think "making friends" isnt just about gettin people to commit to you. its also about your commitment levels to them.
though i cant comment too much on how gals make friends and what they see in them, being a guy, i can say that my choice of pals has been on similarity of likes, sense of humour, independence of thought, honesty and just plain gelling together over time.
i think honesty is the most important ingredient in any relationship. if u r actually pals with someone, let that person know. if ur not, let him/her know that too. i personally dont hold respect for people who leave people hanging and wish to play games.
lastly, i dont think optimism or cynicism has too much to do with making friends. man will never be a social island and like water finds its own level, each person will definately find people with whom s/he connects. whichever way ur, its bound to happen.
"rishte toh bas rishte hote hain,
kuch ek pal ke, kuch zindagi bhar ke.
kuch rishton ke naam hote hain...
kuch rishte naame ke hote hain.
rishte toh bas rishte hote hain."
lastly: "Well.. yes i agree that we use "friend" too casually... But what's the harm!". wonders never cease.
By
Maverick, at 11:56 AM, April 01, 2006
"Rishte toh bas rishte hote hain..." :) Loved your thoroughgoing insight into compilation of my thoughts... Still the crux remains... Make lotsa friends... definitely makes life worth living!
By
Ships, at 7:09 AM, April 04, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home